Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Success!

Sunday night was the final night of our 21 day sugar detox.  We had slip ups here and there but overall we stuck to it.  Over the 21 days, I lost a little over 3 lbs and Jason lost a little over 4 lbs.  While weightloss was not the goal of this, it certainly doesn't hurt to lose a few pounds either!

We both feel better and can definitely tell a difference in our taste buds.  Yesterday, I had a cupcake--if you remember that was one of my vices.  Well, it was way too sweet-like sick on your stomach sweet.  When we eat store bought ketchup, we can taste the sugar in that.  It truly is amazing how much sugar is in products.  These past three weeks have definitely been an eye opener for us.  We are not really continuing the detox but we are.  This weeks meals are completely out of the detox book and detox cookbook.  We are going to be very careful about the foods we add back in.  As we were telling our kids this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

This past weekend we went to Whole Foods.  Let me just say I love that store!  If I could max out a credit card without having to pay it back, I totally think it would be there.  Crazy right?!  It's just so expensive to shop there and we have to drive over an hour just to get to one.  It's definitely not somewhere we'll shop every week becasue it doesn't fit into our budget.  But, I think it's something we can do at least once a month to get items we'll need.  This trip we got a few things that we needed so I could make a paleo dessert and a few things just to have on hand to ue in other recipes. 

During our shopping trip, we also picked up some kale chips.  Now, I tried making kale chips not long ago and it was a disaster.  Something that is supposed to be completely easy to do, I somehow screwed it up.  My one inlaws said they'd show us how they do it when they visit next.  I didn't really care for the kale chips...maybe it was the flavor, I don't know.  But our middle son absolutely loves them (he's taking them in his lunch today).  One thing we picked up that we all liked were some cookies from Go Raw.  They're dehydrated and considered a raw food which is supposed to be much better for you because cooking doesn't destroy all the important enzymes and nutrients.  I got a raw foods cookbook one year from my husband.  I don't think he realized until I started going through it that we needed a dehydrator to be able to do those recipes.  So, we really need to get one or need to start using our oven to dehydrate the foods so we can try some of the recipes.  In the mean time though, I would be interested in getting some of the stuff from Go Raw.  If their other items are anything like the gingersnap cookies we got, we'll be happy for sure.

While in Whole Foods, Jason decided he would get a kombuch tea.  His parents make it and I believe he tried it at their house before.  I am not going to start drinking it just yet since I'm nursing.  I probably could drink it but several sites I've read said if I had been drinking it all along then it would be ok but probably don't want to start if I haven't been drinking it.  So, I think I'll just wait for the time being.  When his parents come for a visit, they said they would show us how to make the kombucha.  I guess that will be cool to be able to do your own flavors.  And I'm sure much cheaper too!

**I know some people receive compensation for trying products, etc and giving their opinion.  That is not the case with the sugar detox or the Go Raw food products.  My opinions are simply that...something I tried, liked and wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment