Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The 21 Day Sugar Detox

As I said in my last post I would like to lose weight and get in better health.  I am already below my pre-pregnancy weight but Samuel did weigh a little over 8 lbs and I only gained about 16.  Who knew pregnancy was a good weightloss plan?!  So, to get into my ideal weight range, I should lose about 40 lbs.  So, I got this bright idea with the new year to do a sugar detox.  Yea, crazy I know...I love sugar.  I have sugar in my coffee, sweet tea, honey in my hot tea, cookies, cakes (especially with icing), candy...yea, this was going to suck.  My big weakness is cake with icing, seriously I can eat a slice a day if I could.  When I was pregnant and craving it, it just didn't hit the spot so I didn't buy cake that often.  Once I had him and tried cake again, the cravings came back with a vengeance.  I have been having cake/cupcakes and other desserts almost every day for the past few weeks.  So, I read up on The 21 Day Sugar Detox (DSD for short).  I talked to Jason and got him on board and we ordered the book and cookbook.  Going through and looking at all the recipes, I was like how bad can this really be...this food looks great and there are some "treats" in the recipes that we can have. 

This is our first week doing the detox--and this isn't like a juice detox or anything crazy like that.  It's eating whole foods, clean foods, and avoiding sugar and those foods that turn into sugar-breads, pastas, etc.  And also the high sugar fruits.  We are allowed green tip bananas and green apples as fruits.  We took a quiz to determine which level we should start at, level 1 is the most lenient, level 2 a little stricter, and level 3 the strictest.  Jason and I could do either 1 or 2 so we decided we'd start with 1 and if that went well then we could try 2 and then eventually 3. 

Monday was our first day.  I got up and cooked a quiche of eggs, bacon, and carmelized onions.  It tasted good except it was way too salty.  When we bought sea salt, Jason picked up the coarse by mistake and I didn't realize it until I dumped into the eggs.  I tried distributing it but it didn't help.  Lunch we had a salad with some turkey and homemade balsamic dressing.  Dinner was lamb burgers with avo-ziki.  We ate it over lettuce and topped with red onions, cucumbers, and the avo ziki...yum!  Even our kids liked it.  Day 1 wasn't so bad except I was very hungry.  The book says that if you're hungry to eat as this isn't a diet...just to eat the foods on your "yes" list.  But I think my hunger pains were more I was craving foods I couldn't eat.

Tuesday-day 2-I woke up not hungry.  Started the day with my usual cup of coffee with half and half (which we're allowed) just no sugar.  Breakfast was leftovers from the morning before and lunch was leftovers from dinner.  Dinner Tuesday was a chicken adobo that was done in the crock pot served over a garlic cauli-rice.  The chicken smelled great but I think I got a piece of chicken fat or something and it ruined it for me.  I couldn't finish it.  Jason got the chicken out and off the bone, threw it in the skillet with the cauli-rice added some chipotle powder and kinda did a stir fry type thing.  It actually tasted pretty good.  Since I'm nursing, I can have certain other foods like sweet potatoes to make sure I'm getting the right amount of carbs so I don't lose my milk supply.  So, he threw in a couple potatoes so I could have them if i wanted them.  Day 2 was bad, Andrew's birthday cake I made was calling my name and I could have ate what is left over and not felt guilty at all.  But I resisted.  I also feel alot more tired than normal too.

Day 3, today...I woke up feeling not as tired.  I had to cook breakfast which this morning was sausage with green apples.  Jason peeled and diced the apples up last night so they'd be ready.  With this we were supposed to have almonds and raw carrots...but decided we'd have an egg instead.  I was a little iffy on the apples being mixed in with the sausage but it actually was pretty good.  The boys ate the same except Andrew did have peanut butter toast-that's off limits for us but we're not as strict on the boys.  Lunch was leftovers from dinner and the sweet potato.  Dinner was supposed to be something called a beef and bacon cottage pie--almost like a shepherd's pie but the topping was made using butternut squash.  The prep took forever and I should have started earlier in the day but as I read through the recipe I didn't think it'd take that long.  But Jason and I had to get a few thins from the store tonight as well.  Then of course I burned the bacon--who burns bacon?  It was black and ugh.  Thankfully I had another pack so I started all over.  I figured it out that we wouldn't be eating dinner until close to 7:30 which is way later than normal.  I told Jason that we could always "cheat".  So we decided to get Subway.  It was the healthier option and instead of getting meals with drinks, we would just get subs so the only thin we cheated with is the bread.  So, not too bad.  Cravings have still been there but they usually only hit in the afternoon.  And of course I'm exhausted.  Some of the exhaustion comes from having a 6 week old of course but some of it is also not having that sugar giving me a boost. 

I've read the first 3 days are the worst--so we'll see if that is true or not.  I'm thankful to have Jason doing this with me.  He helps me prep the food and cook and it's good to have each other to talk to about this.  And most of all to support each other as we do this.

This is a little off topic of the post about the detox, but while Jason and Andrew went to get dinner, Schyler stayed to help me as I was still cooking dinner.  And Samuel was fussing and ready to eat.  So, he held the baby until the baby just couldn't hold off anymore.  So, then Schyler took over cooking.  He did a good job finishing up dinner--which wasn't much but doing the veggies and adding the meat and season and cooking the meat.  But, it was a huge help to me and it made me happy when he said "this is fun"!  Proud mommy here!

No comments:

Post a Comment